Friends COS calendar

A subset of the Friends of the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad located in Colorado Springs, Colorado, with the mission of preservation, restoration, and interpretation of CTSRR historic assets. The Springs group is primarily involved in restoration. See below for blog archive of older postings. For a brief history of 470 please click the link below to the Friends website.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A Hot Day - July 17, 2010

Today I started removing siding on the south (sunny) side of the car.  The temperature was predicted to be around 90F, so we began at 7AM.  There is blocking at both ends of the car on both sides, with these blocks placed between the framing members to provide rigidity.  The blocks are of different sizes depending on the space available within the framing.  They were not nailed or fixed in place, but held in place by the siding and interior finish.  Many of these are warped, and it is our plan to replace them with plywood which will provide even more rigidity.
Inside the car, John continues with removal of the exterior sheathing below the car.  This was not a delicate operation, but the end result on the right looks good.  The concrete pit below the car is visible through the framing.  The plywood and masonite sheets will help keep us above it all.

In summary, we have made a lot of progress in early July.  We have another work session on the 31st that I will not be able to attend, but I will try to do more timely updates in August.  In the near term, plans are for completing the structure, and doing an assessment of what will be needed for commencing reconstruction of the car.  Plans also call for raising the car and placing dollies underneath.

A peek at the roof, July 5-9.


We rolled back the rubber roof covering installed several years ago when the car was "mothballed" to see what condition things were.  It is a metal roof with solder?/caulk between the panels.  The chimney for the heating stove (not original) can be seen behind the ladder.  On the right, above, Duncan and Craig are surveying the clerestory windows from the outside.


On the left, above, a closer look at the framing of the clerestories.  There are Roman numerals on each post in sequence.  Were they fabricated  off the car and then installed in the appropriate place?  On the right, a closer look at the roof.  Some rust is evident, but the rubber cover kept everything stable during storage.

On to the car, July 5-9.


The crew is attacking the floor (Mary Jane, Rosemary, and Marshall).  Rosemary weilds a mean crowbar.  It must be from all that practice driving a schoolbus.  There are (were) floorboards, two layers, on the framing, as well as sheeting on the underside of the car over the framing as well.

On the underlayed floor below the finish flooring, there was this plaque inset at one end of the car.  It has the letters "D&RGRR", and the date, 1887.  We believe that this car was built in 1889, and it may be that a number of plaques were cast prior to construction of this series of cars (my speculation).

On the left, most of the flooring has been removed.  Temporary sheets of masonite are in place on the far end.  On the near end, the underside exterior remains in place, and the shavings placed for insulation can be seen.  This was removed for later replacement.  The exterior on the left side has been mostly removed, while the right (sunny) side remains.  Note the storage locker over the door on the far side of the car.  These are present at both ends.  Below are photos of one of the lockers with the facing nicely cleaned up and sanded.  Also, Craig has made new doors, but cleaned up and reused the old brass hardware.


That's it for the interior for now.

COS Work session, July 5-9, 2010

Because of other commitments, weather, etc. this was the first work session since mid-May.  We were able to accomplish quite a bit during the week, and appreciated the help of out-of towners Marshall and Mary Jane Smith from Texas.  Work centered around finishing the structure framing and drainage, as well as dismantling the interior and exterior of the car.
We have anchored the base of the structure tubing to rails with custom fabricated couplers courtesy of our resident woodworker and sheet metal worker (Craig and Tom).  Drilling the holes through the rail for the bolts was the most fun.  It appears that the structure won't be going anywhere anytime soon.  On the left, we have installed the last of the drainage pipe around the structure, and spread gravel around the work areas to try to combat the adherent clay that accurs after a rain.  It is hope that we will be able to install the cover over the frame in the next month or so.  It will be custom cut to fit the dimensions we have.


 

Followers